Become a Foundation Volunteer
If you are interested in learning more about the community and the impact the Foundation has then we might be the volunteer opportunity for you. Please call the office for details or check out our volunteer postings through SARNIA GIVES
Current Volunteer Opportunities
- Marketing and Promotion Work - Many of our funds are open for donation but need to be be marketed and promoted to the right audience. You could design specific materials for the foundation to use or be a part of the team asking for the gift. We need your help to get the word out about the community foundation difference! Flexible Hours
- Special Events for our 30th Anniversary - Our 30th Anniversary is an opportunity to celebrate philanthropy in our community and the impact of the Foundation grants and programmes. Flexible hours up to the day of the event. See our Special Events page for details.
- Filing and general office work office hours only
- Finance & Audit Committee- Committee members are needed to provide advice to the Foundation regarding the Foundation's financal policies, financial function and compliance with accepted standards. The committee also plays a role in our investment oversight strategy and advises the board regarding the performance of our discretionary fund manager. Quarterly meetings are required.
- Grants Committee - This group of volunteers reviews applications made to the Foundation during the community grants process. Meetings are held in May, June, September and October on an as needed basis. Much of the work involves reading and assessing applications before making recommendations to the Foundation Board. The terms of reference for this committee ask that 3 to 5 members at a large be appointed annually for a term of up to five years.
- Governance Committee - The members of this committee oversee the compliance of the Foundation with the regulations that govern us, provide substance to the policies and procedures of the Foundation and help direct the ongoing work of strategic planning.
Our continued success depends on the personal commitment and active involvement of a group of 12 individuals, who embrace the privilege to serve and the responsibility to lead as members of the Foundation Board. Board members are expected to be zealous advocates on our behalf, enthusiastic communicators of our mission and vision, and to play an integral role in our fund development, fundraising activities and community leadership initiatives.
Under the terms the legislation that created the Foundation, an external nominating committee reviews applications and makes the final appointment. The Act (Bill Pr 139) further specifies that board terms are to be three years and that a number of board positions become available annually. Further information on the opportunity is available from the Foundation office.
This page was last modified: February 11, 2013